Monday, August 1, 2016

CHROME MAGNO'S ALMOST KILLED ME

You pass it on.  You appreciate it and pass it on.  Afterwards you live with the memories.  That's what we do. 

I was thinking of when I first thought of and proceeded to get the magno's color chromed.  I drove non stop through the Rocky Mountains for over 11 hours straight.   left right after work on a Thursday night to be in Mission BC for noon. 

I was a kid the last time I went through the mountains.  I don't remember it.  Now here I was at 3 am barrelling through the mountains on roads I had never driven on before.

There was a pick up in front of me.  He was my rabbit.  So he passes a semi.  So do I.  Its after 3 am and its pitch black and Im doing 60 mph in the dark on twisting turning curvy roads I know nothing about.

As I was getting back into my own lane again, something bright yellow flashed by me on the drivers side.  A few more seconds and the magnitude of what just transpired caught up to my consciousness.

In the dark, while passing the Semi...I missed the sign as it was blocked by the truck.  The sign letting me know of an upcoming tunnel.  The bright yellow was the hazard sign indicating the tunnel wall partition between to the two opposite directions of traffic.  I missed it by mere seconds.  When I realized what had just happened, I couldn't stop shaking.  I pulled over at the first opportunity.

A little Ford Ranger at 60 mph and a solid rock wall. 

I still shake my head and give a shiver when I think of it...I made the return trip during the day time hours and gave another shiver when I saw the road and surroundings in all their glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment